Utah Liquor Laws

Utah's Liquor Laws

2019 Update-Higher Alcohol Beer in Grocery and Convenience Stores:

On November 1, 2019 Utah alcohol laws were updated once again.  This time it was in favor of higher alcohol beer in grocery stores and convenience stores.  Previously, Utah law only allowed these locations to sell retail beer with alcohol content up to 4% alcohol by volume.  The new law allows for retail beer up to 5% ABV.  Beer with higher than 5% ABV will continue to be sold in state-run liquor stores just as it was before.

Over the past several years, Utah has made strides to modernize its liquor laws. Adults of legal age can order and consume beer, wine, and hard liquor at bars, pubs, restaurants and a variety of other establishments throughout the state. In the past, a "private club membership" was required to enter bars. That requirement has been eliminated.

You must be 21 to purchase or consume alcoholic beverages in Utah. Alcoholic beverages (wine, liquor, and beer) are available two ways in Utah: by the drink, or packaged by the bottle.

Mixed drinks and wine may be ordered with food in most restaurants from 11:30 am to 1:00 am, and beer may be ordered from 11:30 am -1:00 am. Patrons may be served at their tables or in waiting areas.

Taverns and beer establishments sell beer from 11:30 am-1 am. This includes a variety of venues: taverns, lounges, cabarets, nightclubs, cafes, bowling centers, golf courses, etc. Beer may be purchased without ordering food and is sold on draft and in bottles and cans. Beer sales "to go" are also allowed, but not in open containers.

Packaged beer is also available at supermarkets, grocery and convenience stores. The maximum alcohol content is four percent by volume, or 3.2 percent by weight for beer sold in taverns, beer establishments, and stores.

Packaged liquor, wine, and heavy beer "to go" are sold at state liquor stores throughout Utah. Additionally, some of the finest wines in the world are sold at three wine stores in Salt Lake City. State liquor stores accept cash, check, and credit cards, and are closed on Sundays and holidays.

Other package agencies are often located in hotels and resorts for customer convenience. Many hotels and resorts offer alcoholic beverages via room service.

Acceptable forms of identification include a valid passport, a valid U.S. driver's license or military identification card with a date of birth and a photo, or an official U.S. state-issued identification card.

Utah's Smoking Laws

As in most states, Utah's Indoor Clean Air Act prohibits smoking in areas where the general public has regular access.

Many Utah Lodging facilities have smoking rooms available and the Salt Lake International Airport has designated smoking areas in the respective terminals. When in doubt about whether or not to light up, it is probably best to ask about the location's policy.

Back To Top