Capitol Reef National Park Events
Jun 28, 2016
By: Ann Whittaker
Small town Utah knows how to host festivals, rodeos and art events that are just as memorable as the national parks--and Wayne County has been a reliable host with its annual events that locals and tourists look forward to year after year after year. Why not add a live music performance to the end of your hiking extravaganza in the park? Or watch artists work en plain air while you wander through orchards in Fruita? These communities love you. And you'll love them.
• Cowboy Music & Poetry Festival (June): Western music and bands, poetry readings, horsemanship demonstrations, food vendors
• Arts & the Park (June): Each year watercolorists converge at the Entrada Institude to create Plein air art. You can watch artists work, participate in presentations and an art auction.
• Torrey Apple Days (July 4th weekend): Pie contest, pie-eating contest, community picnic, Boy Scout breakfast fundraiser, Race for the Apple, swap meet, classic car show, parade, volleyball contest, children’s games, apple derby, The Big Apple Dance
• Wayne County Fair (August): Parade, rodeo, demolition derby, food and entertainment, music, art exhibits, horse challenge, Small Fry Rodeo, races and relays, games, fireworks
• Women’s Redrock Music Festival (August): Music by women for everyone, independent musicians from all over the world, food, art exhibits
• Torrey Farmers’ Market (summer months): Every Saturday 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
• Fall Harvest Scarecrow Festival (October): The entire county creates scarecrows that pop up throughout the entire county during the month of October. There are also numerous family events including arts and crafts, pumpkin carving contests, vendors and entertainment.
• Heritage Starfest (September): Stargazing, telescope viewing, storytelling, guest speakers and special events that celebrate Capitol Reef National Park’s designation as an International Dark Sky Park.
• Community Halloween Party (October): This event is open to the public. Come in costume and enter the contest. Food and dance band.