Ensign Peak

Ensign Peak is a prominent hill on the northern edge of the Salt Lake Valley. On July 26, 1847, two days after arriving in the Salt Lake Valley, Brigham Young and seven other pioneer leaders climbed the hill to survey the valley. From its summit they laid out in their minds the city they intended to build.

The men fastened a yellow bandanna to a cane and waved it from the mountain peak. Brigham Young named the spot Ensign Peak. The pioneers had carried two American flags with them across the plains. Within a short time a flagpole was erected and one of those flags was flown from the peak.

Brigham Young claimed a vision from God directed him to lead his people into the Salt Lake Valley. It is said that Young recognized Ensign Peak as a prominent landmark in his vision, confirming his statement: "This is the right place."

Over the years Ensign Peak has been the site of numerous civic and religious ceremonies.

Utah's state capitol building stands on a shelf part way up the hill. Efforts to preserve the summit as a park began in 1908. In 1934 a monument was built, honoring the men who climbed the hill in 1847.

On July 26, 1996, the site was officially dedicated as both a historic and nature park by LDS Church President Gordon B. Hinckley. During the dedication ceremony, the Ensign Peak Foundation presented the park to the people of Salt Lake City. Homes now cover the bottom two-thirds of the hill. An LDS chapel and park stand at the upper end of the developed land and serve as a staging area for people who wish to climb the summit. A maintained trail leads from the chapel to the summit. The hike is short and easy.

The view from Ensign Peak is amazing.

Back to top Print this page E-mail this page