Heritage Highway 89 - Little Denmark Section
In Little Denmark, the influence of Scandinavian pioneers sent by Brigham Young to settle the area surrounds you. Masterful Scandinavian woodworking and stained glass skills are reflected in many of the marvelous local bed and breakfast inns. Festivals such as the Scandinavian Festival in Ephraim and the Mormon Miracle Pageant at the Mormon Temple in Manti offer a rich local flavor. Artisan studios and gift shops are waiting for your visit to downtowns filled with buildings listed on the National Historic Register.
This section of the highway passes through 11 different cities. Each adds its own piece of culture to the region.
- Founded in 1859 as North Bend as a site for gathering wild hay, the town was later renamed Fairview because you could see fields of grain for 30 miles. Fairview once had a stone fort with 10-foot walls to protect the settlers from Indians.
- Mt. Pleasant was originally settled in 1852 as Hambleton Settlement. Indians drove the original settlers from the town and burned the community to the ground. Mt. Pleasant's settlers were largely Scandinavian and British. The treaty ending the Black Hawk Indian War was signed here.
- Known at various times as the Allred Settlement, Spring Town, and Little Denmark, Spring City is the second oldest community in Sanpete County. Renowned for its many architecturally significant historic buildings, the entire town is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Fountain Green was originally a campground for Mormon colonists immisgrating to the Sanpete Valley; the town was settled in 1859. Big Springs, Silver Creek and large artesian wells all help justify the town's name. Fountain Green has long been a local center of agriculture and historically was famous for its cooperatively owned Spanish Merino sheep herd.
- Moroni was originally known as Mego and Sanpitch - the names of local Native Americans. The town was established in 1859 and renamed Moroni for the Book of Mormon prophet and angel. Moroni is also home to Moroni Feed Company, one of the world's most successful turkey cooperatives.
- Settled in 1854, Ephraim was once Sanpete County's most important fort built for protection from Indians during the Black Hawk War. At one time, 90% of the population was Danish. Ephraim is the home of historic Snow College and a wonderfully restored Mormon cooperative mercantile.
- Manti, settled in 1849, is the oldest community in Sanpete County and was established by Brigham Young at the invitation of Chief Walker. The community is named after a prophet in the Book of Mormon and is the site of the Manti Temple, built from local stone betweenm 1877 and 1888.
- Sterling was named for the "sterling" qualities of its people. It was settled in 1873. At various times, the town was known as Pettyville, Pettytown, Leesburg and Buncetown.
- First called Arrapene in honor of a friendly Ute chief, the town was known at various times as New London, Order, Cabblehaven, Skinny, Skunk and Frog Hollow. The name Mayfield was chosen because of the flowers which appear in the spring.
- Gunnison was established in 1862 when Brigham Young ordered settlers from Chalk Hill Point and Kearns Camp to form a single community on higher ground. The town was named for Capitain John Gunnison, an explorer who was killed by local Indians in 1853.
- Originally known as "The Field," squatters settled there from Gunnison in 1869. In 1996, the town was formally organized and named Centerfield because of its central location in the Gunnison Valley.
For information about these and other tours along the Utah Heritage Highway:
|Back to top||Print this page||E-mail this page|